How I entertained myself for my 60th Birthday with the help of a few great friends and Horseshoe Canyon Ranch. Click on any of the pictures to see the full size.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

60th Birthday Challenge

Well it's Thursday evening. Tomorrow I leave for Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in Jasper Arkansas to attempt my most ambitious birthday challenge. Last year, at 59 I lead 59 routes. But, I gave myself the option to climb each route 3 times. I had two team mates who helped and they each climbed the routes I did at least once. That challenge was fun but wasn't as much of a challenge as I had hoped.

So, this year I upped the ante. I hope to lead 60 different routes with nothing easier than 5.7. The forecast is for no rain and low 90's for a high. My starting point will be getting the morning sun so I need to start early and move quickly. I have some friends that will follow me and my parnter, Natalie. Their job will be to clean our anchors so I can lead, leave draws on the anchor, and lower off. Nat will follow some of the routes to give me some rest and to get some practice for the 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell competition in September. My tick list is heavy on 5.10's so I want to avoid the heat as much as possible and get to the relative shade of the North Forty before mid morning.

I have packed my trad gear, two sets of draws, long slings to leave on trees for gear routes without anchors, a light, short rope, food for 12 hours, water and G2 for hydration, and 50 beers to share with my friends. I have made several trips to HCR during the last two months so I have good beta on most routes and my tips are hardened from climbing at least 3 or 4 times a week. This is the worst part, waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers